Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Review - Open Source PDF Editors

What?


There are plenty of good PDF viewers out there. Combined with the format's platform independence, it makes PDF a great format for presentation.

However, I've never gotten my hands on a good open source PDF editor.

So I took the time to look around a bit. Here's what I found:

  • PDFEdit - free and open source. I couldn't get it to compile on OS X. Here's an article pointing out all its flaws, and still hailing it. That's how bad we need a good open source PDF editor.
  • ReportLab Toolkit - a "mature PDF library." In fact, so mature that it took me 10 minutes of mature fighting with it before I maturely gave up trying to get its demo to work.
  • PDFCreator - Windows only... However, my guess goes against some Microsoft groupie randomly cracking this nut.
  • Skim - The only somewhat promising alternative.
Still no winner. If someone has one, let me know. In the meantime, check out my quick Skim review (it's worth the skim).

No comments: